Wondering what things to do when bored?
We all want to have some fun activities on our weekends. Hence, I have come up with a list of some cheap things to do when bored. But what if you are broke? Well, fun activities do not necessarily have to be expensive. There are so many cheap things to do even when you are on a tight budget.
It is very important to save money for the future, but it shouldn’t restrict you too much. Having some fun activities once in a while makes our lives so much better!
In this article, I have mentioned a list of things to do when bored. They will cost you very little or no money at all.
Related post: Summer bucket list ideas
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy for more information.
Things To Do When Bored:
1. Try a new recipe. A few months back I was bored with my dull evening snacks. A simple google search revealed thousands of new recipes. Trying a new recipe at home is one of my favorite ways to escape boredom.
2. Have an ice cream. It doesn’t cost much but it’s a great way to start the evening. I love having ice cream during the winter rather than summer! Use this Cuisinart ice cream maker to indulge in some homemade ice cream.
3. Watch a movie with your family. When was the last time you watched a movie with your family? Well, It’s time to give yourself a break from Netflix! My parents are not tech-savvy or phone lovers. They prefer television over mobile phones. Hence, I love those moments when we gather in a hall to watch news or movies on television.
4. Read a book. Just like me, if you are a personal finance lover, I will recommend you to read “I Will Teach You To Be Rich” by Ramit Sethi.
5. Have a virtual game night with friends. Virtual game nights are fun! You can even record them and put them on YouTube to gather views (and then monetize them). You have the option to play board games, online games or any other indoor games you can think of!
6. Bake a cake with the ingredients available at your home. You can use whipped cream, chocolate or caramel sauce, choco chips or some candies to decorate the cake. If you are making it for the first time, it may not turn out to be what you expected. But, it can be a great experience.
7. Write a letter to someone you are grateful for having in your life. Last week I made a handmade birthday card for my best friend.
8. Make a conference call with your childhood/school friends. If you are a 90s person, most probably you know the joy of doing conference phone call with your squad. In fact, I prefer it more than the video calls. If you are a grown-up person and still in touch with your school friends, you are lucky! Just grab your telephone and dial their numbers.
9. Watch the sunrise and the sunset. If you hate waking up early in the morning, watch the sunset instead. Just grab a cup of coffee and sit near the window or the balcony.
10. Shop from DollarTree.
11. Paint something. Grab a piece of paper and paint something on it.
12. Have a sleepover with cousins. Invite them for dinner, gossip with them and play games. Usually, I meet my cousins at a family gathering or any festival. If you are in the same situation, then, for a change you can invite them over to your house.
13. Watch Netflix shows. Have you watched Squid Game yet? You should!
14. Go on a long drive with your partner or siblings.
15. Do some exercise. Health is the real wealth. If you don’t have good health, you don’t have anything. Even if it is for 10 mins a day, you should work out. To enjoy your workout, you can play some motivational songs on your phone. I love listening to the “Believer” song while working out every morning.
16. Chat with your relatives
17. Listen to songs on Spotify.
18. Watch famous Vlogs on YouTube. It is one of the best things to do when bored. Vlogs can be entertaining. Get your earphones on and get lost in the videos. I love it because I can get a sneak peek into my favorite YouTuber’s lives through their vlogs.
19. Learn a new skill. For example, try speaking a new language, mastering adobe photoshop, gardening, playing an instrument etc.
20. Have a picnic with family or friends. What could be better than spending time with your friends and family? Arrange a picnic with them. Play board games, hide and seek, have a water balloon fight and go fishing.
21. Visit a museum nearby. If you don’t live near a museum, you can take a virtual museum tour. Some of the famous museums are offering virtual tours!
22. Read some inspirational quotes
23. Grab some chocolates (my favorite!). If you are a big fan of dark chocolates (just like me), then you should try this Belgian dark chocolate.
24. Make a vision board on Pinterest.
25. Decorate your room. Again, it is one of the fun things to do when bored.
26. Write down 10 things you want in the next 2 years
27. Visit a library near you. It is one of the best ways to spend time as a bookworm (without spending anything).
28. Make new friends online
29. Read old magazines
30. Start a side hustle. Some of the profitable side hustles are tutoring, blogging, delivery gigs to taking care of pets.
31. Try to start a new business from home. Everyone should taste the joy and thrill of starting their own business at least once in life. Doesn’t matter whether you win or lose, but it teaches some valuable lessons throughout the journey.
32. Read the newspaper every day
33. Make portraits of your friends!
34. Participate in some online competitions.
35. Hike in your local places
36. Learn a new language. Use the Duolingo application to learn a new language.
37. Open a YouTube channel. During this pandemic, many of my friends have started YouTube channels of their own. Some of them have even reached 10,000 subscribers. Creating videos for YouTube, and receiving genuine comments (and criticism) from strangers around the world can be overwhelming. Throughout the journey, you end up creating a small family that supports you.
38. Cook food for your parents.
39. Host a dance party with siblings.
40. Have a bonfire night.
41. Solve a puzzle
42. Gift your parents.
43. Host a small party with family in your backyard
44. Try to achieve something you always wanted to.
45. Play the “Among Us” game with your squad (it’s fun!). You must have already played this game before! Nothing can be better than being the imposter and then blaming it on the others!
46. Take a virtual tour in your local tourist attraction area
47. Take some photographs of yourself
48. Read some blog posts
49. Spend some time on Pinterest. Open your Pinterest account and get lost in the world of DIY, crafts, food and travel.
50. Surprise your best friend with something special. Making a birthday video mash-up, a midnight cake delivery, a board game night or a movie night can be refreshing.
51. Prank your friends! Recently, I was binge-watching several videos on YouTube. One of them was pranking friends that you are leaving the country and going to settle elsewhere! You can try them on your friends too and see how they react! Don’t forget to film it!
52. Make a handmade card for someone’s birthday. It would make someone’s day!
53. Listen to some podcasts. Listening to podcasts helps in relaxing. For some people, it might be better than listening to music.
54. Feed a dog in your local area. Who doesn’t love dogs?! Whenever I see one, I feed them. It acts as therapy for me!
55. Go to Trampoline Park.
56. Try a new dish from Groupon
57. Earn money by using apps like TopCashback.
58. Declutter things you don’t use
59. Try a new hairstyle from Pinterest. Just go to the Pinterest search bar and type “Hairstyles”. It will lead you to thousands of video tutorials.
60. Make a timetable for a more productive day
61. List down 20 things you want to do before you die
62. Take a nap. No matter how much stress you went through, taking a little power nap can be the best medicine for it.
63. Make some crafts and sell them. I loved to make crafts during my school vacation. But I couldn’t ever monetize them back in the early 2000s. But, things are different now. You can sell your hand-crafted items on Etsy.
64. Invite friends to your house
65. Get a new haircut.
66. Write on Medium. Medium is a platform where you can write. If people like what you write, you can even earn money from it.
67. Start a blog. Starting a blog can be a great way to escape the monotony of daily life activities. You can write about your life, and share stories and experiences. Your article will be on Google and people can read it. It is one of the best things to do when bored because you could even make money from your blog.
68. Try some new candies. I loved this sour patch candy I recently brought.
69. Gift something to a homeless person.
70. Watch some movies on Amazon Prime. Grab a bowl of popcorn and watch Knives Out.
71. Gift these comfortable slippers to yourself
72. Click a family photo. When was the last time you took a family photo? No! We are all busy with our selfies! Take your time to gather all your family members only to click a photo together. Trust me, you will cherish this memory later on.
73. Have a look at the old photos of your family
74. Gift yourself a pet dog! A pet dog is the best gift a man can ever have! They reduce stress and add meaning and purpose to your life.
75. Try some life hacks. Go to YouTube and search “viral TikTok life hacks”. Watch those videos and decide which one to try.
76. Rent your car on Turo
77. Try digital art. Painting on a piece of paper is great. But, have you ever tried digital art? It’s even better and you should try it (especially if you love making paintings).
78. Plan about your next week
79. Learn a new dance move. Recently, Moonwalk got viral on TikTok. Have you tried it? Dance moves are my favorite ways to stay fit without hitting the gym.
80. Save money for your dream vacation
81. Clean and organize your home
82. Set a goal and work towards it. Nothing is cooler than being focused on your work. Write on a piece of paper what you want to do within the next five months. Then, set a plan to achieve it.
83. Try a new look with your old unused clothes
84. Treat yourself to some homemade ice cream. In case, you cannot go out to buy one, you can make it in your home.
85. Shop online
86. Read some quotes to cheer you up
87. Go jogging for some time. Jogging early in the morning is good for health and it refreshes the brain as well.
88. Try DIY things from Pinterest
89. Plan for the next vacation. Where do you want to go for your next vacation? Is it the mountains or the beach?
90. Film yourself. Make a house tour video or a day in your life. Edit it on apps like iMovie and put it on YouTube. Vlogging can be a great way to get out of the monotony.
91. Meditate. It helps a lot to distract your mind from boredom.
92. Try a new outfit
93. Get a free Starbucks coffee. Yes, you read that right! Read this article to know how you can get free Starbucks coffee.
94. Have a spa at home
95. Make cupcakes for yourself. If you don’t know how to make one, a simple google search will reveal it.
96. Buy vintage items on Etsy. Search for those perfect cluster earrings, scented candles or pendant lights.
Final Thoughts On Things To Do When Bored
I hope you enjoyed this list of fun and cheap things to do when bored. Also, being on a tight budget should not stop us from having fun in life. You can have fun activities without being broke. I hope you found out something for yourselves from this blog post.
Also, if you enjoyed this list of things to do when bored, you can share it with the ones who need it.